Convert any .vob video file to an iPod-friendly .mp4 video file in 4 simple steps
A VOB file (.vob) is a “Video Object” file, an MPEG-2 file format used on DVDs, and is easily converted to an iPod-friendly format using our Top Rated iPod Video Converter or any of these highly recommended iPod DVD & video converter programs. Note: Mac users will find Mac-friendly converters on our best iPod converters list and then follow the same instructions.
Start2Finish Rating : Real easy, quick like a bunny
Here’s What You Need
- Your VOB file
- Your iPod (iPod Classic, iPod Nano or iPod Touch)
- Your iTunes software
- A top-rated video conversion program
4 Simple Steps to Convert Your VOB Video File to Play On Your iPod
For this “how to” we used the Avanquest TransferMy Video converter, our absolute favorite video converter due to its speed, the simplicity of the interface, the quality of the output file, and its ability to convert any format to any device. That said, there are many video converter options available – here’s a list of our highest recommended iPod DVD & Video Converters – so whichever one you choose, you should be able to achieve similar results following these steps.
Step 1 : Install the Video Conversion Program
- Download the Avanquest TransferMy Video converter
- Install it to your system
- Mac Users : check out our list of Mac-friendly iPod Converters
Step 2 : Run the Video Conversion Program
- Run the program via the desktop icon or the Windows “Start Menu”
- You’ll find a simple-to-use interface where you can browse for your VOB video file (“My Video File”), or click “Advanced Mode” and let the converter show you a list of the video files on your computer
- Output To : Choose your iPod setting in the “Output To” pull-down menu. For example: if you have a classic iPod, select the “Apple iPod/iPod Classic MP4 (mpeg4)” setting. This will give you a great-looking video and take the least amount of conversion time. To change your device, click on the device icon that is right beside “Output To”. This will show you a complete device menu; just choose your device and hit “OK”.
- Advanced Mode – Video Settings : To see/adjust the actual video conversion settings, click on the “Advanced Mode” button. At the top Advanced Mode page is a “Video Settings” button – clicking “Video Settings” opens a separate page with all your video settings options: brightness, saturation, contrast, audio and video quality, format selection and matte adjustment. When you’re done, click “OK” to continue.
- Advanced Mode – Convert : The “Convert” button is at the top in “Advanced Mode”. Click it when you want to convert your video.
- Start Conversion : Hit “Start Conversion” (or “Convert” if you’re in Advanced Mode) and go get a snack. A 90 minute VOB file takes about 30 minutes to convert.
Step 3 : Transfer the Converted Video to Your iPod using iTunes
- Hook up your iPod to your computer
- Avanquest TransferMy Video will automatically open your iTunes
- Choose where you want your new movie to go – on your iPod
- And instantly Avanquest TransferMy Video uses your iTunes to put your new movie on your iPod
Step 4 : Play the Converted Video On Your iPod
- Show it to your friends and enjoy!
- “Rinse & Repeat” to convert and transfer more videos to your iPod